Every year, the United States provides legal resident status to more than 1 million immigrants.
About half of the people who become legal residents have already been in the United States, and the other half are new arrivals. Regardless of whether or not you are already in the U.S., there are some things that you will need to do before becoming a U.S. resident. One of those things is to have an immigration medical exam. So, if you are wondering “does insurance cover an immigration medical exam cost” in Astoria, read on.
Schedule An Immigration Physical Near Me in Astoria.
What Is An Immigration Medical Exam?
If you plan to immigrate to the United States or if you currently live in the U.S., and plan to become a U.S. permanent resident (get a Green Card), you will need an immigration medical exam.
If you plan on adjusting your status in the US from an F1, J1 or H1B visa you will need to file for adjustment of status (form i-485). An immigration medical exam is required.
This medical exam is a routine part of the immigration process. It helps ensure that you have no medical conditions or diseases that could present a threat to public health and safety. These exam requirements are for your safety, as well as the safety of everyone in the U.S.
What Does An Immigration Medical Exam Look At?
There are four things that doctors are looking for when they do an immigration medical exam:
● Whether or not you are current on vaccinations.
● Communicable diseases that might be a threat to public health (examples include tuberculous, syphilis and gonorrhea).
● A mental or physical disorder that could put you at risk of being a danger to yourself or others.
● Drug addiction or abuse.
The Process Of An Immigration Medical Exam
- The first step of getting an immigration medical exam is to select a doctor.
- Click Immigration physical near me to find the closest Statcare Urgent Care locations.
- Once you choose your nearest location, schedule an online appointment. Statcare offers same-day appointments for immigration medical exams 7 days per week.
- Bring all the necessary documents. When you visit Statcare for your Immigration physical near me, make sure you have a valid government photo ID (i.e. passport), the fee, a list of your medications, your medical records including any vaccine records and any recent lab results.
Changes in the Immigration Medical Exam Process
United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) updated the I-693 form on 07/15/2019.
- The sealed envelope needs to be sent to USCIS within 60 days of seeing the civil surgeon.
- The I-693 form is valid for 2 years.
- As implemented in 2018, the RPR test for syphilis needs to be done at the civil surgeon’s office.
- The first 4 pages of the I-693 need to be completed the patient. You can even print the first 4 pages from home, complete it and bring in the completed forms on Day 1.
- If you asked someone else is prepare or complete the first 4 pages of the I-693 form, they will have to complete the Preparer section (Part 4) and sign as well.
Where Can I Go For An Immigration Medical Exam?
You must go to an Urgent Care Clinic that has a Civil Surgeon authorized by the United States Department of Homeland Security to provide these immigration exams. This designation means that the clinic is authorized to perform the medical examination and give necessary immunizations for individuals seeking permanent residency or applying for citizenship. At Statcare, we have three official civil surgeons (USCIS) on staff.
Although other urgent care clinics may offer cheaper physical exams, they may not have an official Civil Surgeon on staff. This means that the exam will not be helpful for immigration purposes.
What Is An Immigration Medical Exam Cost?
At Statcare, immigration medical exams are very affordable at $129. In addition to saving money, you also save time by having your immigration medical exam at Statcare. That is because we also offer vaccinations.
Are Immigration Medical Exams Covered By Insurance?
Most medical insurance companies will not cover immigration medical exams. Fortunately, you can get an affordable immigration medical exam at Statcare. Find an Immigration physical near me in Astoria, Brooklyn, or Queens.