Bedbugs are increasingly common in New York City, according to health officials. Bed bugs are small bugs about the size of an apple seed. So, it can be really hard to see them. Here at Statcare, we want to help you understand how to prevent bedbugs. Learn more from our Brooklyn Urgent Care docs.
Bedbugs are small insects that can infest homes and other structures.
- Use a protective cover that encases mattresses and box springs. Check it regularly for holes.
- Check secondhand furniture for any signs of bed bugs before bringing it home.
- Reduce clutter in your home so they have fewer places to hide.
- Regularly wash and heat-dry your bed sheets, blankets, bedspreads and any clothing that touches the floor.
- Vacuum frequently to remove any successful hitchhikers.
- When staying in hotels, put your suitcases on luggage racks instead of the floor. Check the mattress and headboard for signs of bed bugs.
- Unpack directly into your washing machine after a trip and check your luggage carefully.