Bedbugs are small insects that can infest homes and other structures.
- Use a protective cover that encases mattresses and box springs. Check it regularly for holes.
- Check secondhand furniture for any signs of bed bugs before bringing it home.
- Reduce clutter in your home so they have fewer places to hide.
- Regularly wash and heat-dry your bed sheets, blankets, bedspreads and any clothing that touches the floor.
- Vacuum frequently to remove any successful hitchhikers.
- When staying in hotels, put your suitcases on luggage racks instead of the floor. Check the mattress and headboard for signs of bed bugs.
- Unpack directly into your washing machine after a trip and check your luggage carefully.