- Using a cellphone or smartphone/App
- Eating and drinking
- Talking to passengers
- Reading, including maps
- Using a navigation system
- Watching a video
- Adjusting a radio, CD player, or MP3 player
Tips to Avoid Distracted Driving
Before you drive:
- Allow plenty of travel time.
- Set the GPS and/or review all maps and directions before driving.
- Stow and secure loose objects.
- Prepare children with everything they need before driving.
- Intense emotions can be distracting. Complete the conversation with the person before you drive.
- Never drink under the influence.
While you drive:
- Do not text, use apps, or read emails.
- Let calls go to voicemail.
- Do not groom.
- Keep two hands on the wheel at all times.
- Avoid eating or drinking while driving.
New York prohibits all drivers from using portable electronic devices.